Re: CD 942 failure tonight

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I am on 60hz.  (Live in Upper Michigan.)  I am going to give it one more go
>tonight with the same 9 by 4 setup.  I received my 100uf and 25uf run caps,
>and am going to lash up a cap value that should work with John's phase
>controller.  Should allow me some fine tuning on the SRSG, although I really
>believe it is almost dead on.  I replaced the wiring from my control center
>with #6 stranded copper sheathed in vinyl tubing.  Each lead is exactly
>eleven feet long.  Unfortunately, I cannot alter the location of the gap or
>cap, as it is all integrated onto a roll around control center.  My
>reasoning at the time was to allow this pri/sec setup to be used with
>different trans, caps, gaps, etc.  The NST safety gap was set to just not
>fire with just the NST.  This width came close to, if not slightly over, .5
>inches.  I set the rotary electrodes DANGEROUSLY close.  (Don't do this with
>a propellor gap unless it is enclosed!) I ran with the new heavy cables, and
>the cables are now cool, but the primary is HOT.  Hot enough to melt the
>vinyl tubing that insulates a big alligator clip that allows pri.
>adjustment.  And another cap is getting black from the inside out.  Lots of
>bad words going around in the basement!
>
>Thanks for your interest and comments,
>
>John Richardson

John,

Are you saying the primary cap and rotary gap are located 11 feet away from
the primary?  I believe Terry mentioned something about this.  That is the
critical, high current, part of the primary.  Those three components should
be located physically close to each other.  I really don't know how that
could be causing your problem but it is an unusual set up.  My six inch
coil uses about 15 kv at 500 ma for power and the primary wiring does not
get hot.  The primary is 3/8" copper tubing and gets warm but not hot.

A mystery.

Ed Sonderman