RE: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Doc,

 > The main problem is:
 >
 > The magnets have to be reasonably close to the spark gap.  5,000 degree
 > temps tend to eliminate the magnetism in the magnets.  It's like fighting
 > fire with a gasoline hose.

I've used magnetic spark quenching for years with no loss of magnetism in
the magnets.  In fact, there is no heating of the magnets.  My spark gap and
TC run so cool as a unit I can operate it for an hour with no appreciable
heating on the transformer, gap, or coils.  The spark gap itself makes very
little noise compared to my copper tube assembly spark gap.

Dave