RE: TC Spark Energy

Original poster: Dave Leddon <leddon1-at-llnl.gov>

At 11:08 AM 3/11/2004, you wrote:
>Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
>
>John F. -
>
>I agree the spark length is a non linear function of the input wattage and
>the overall energy efficiency of a Tesla coil is equal to
>
>    Efficiency = output energy/input energy
>
>The input energy is easy to find but the output energy is a problem when the
>output is a spark length. I agree that for a certain spark length the energy
>varies depending on the thickness and brightness. But how do you determine
>the joules of energy with varying spark thickness and brightness? The spark
>energy could also be determined by voltage, current, and time as one coiler
>mentioned. To my knowledge no coiler has ever made these tests.
>
>John Couture
>
>----------------------------------
Couldn't we resort to some crude form of calorimetry to determine the
energy in the arc?  It would seem to me that if you allow a known number of
arcs to strike a copper target while keeping track of the temperature rise
in the metal and then, knowing the mass of the target, you could directly
compute the number of joules absorbed.  And if you were concerned about the
energy lost to the atmosphere through heat, light and sound, you could
improve the measurement by enclosing the target and the entire arc path
inside an insulated cylinder.  This might make a nice Science Fair project
for somebody.

Dave
Pleasanton, CA

David H. Leddon