Re: Liquid properties

Original poster: Ian Macky <ian.macky-at-oracle-dot-com>

 > Because water has such a high heat capacity, you might simply use
 > individual copper pipes filled with water and not even worry about forcing
 > circulation. This approach, in conjunction with a blower, was used
 > effectively by at least one coiler to my knowledge on a low power system.

if one were looking purely for thermal mass, perhaps the old pipe-bending
trick could work?   to bend thin-wall copper pipe, you stop one end, melt
lead and pour it in till full, let it harden.  then the pipe's solid, so you
can bend it at will without collapsing the walls (lead is very maleable).
when it's the final shape, reheat and the lead runs out.

so perhaps you could just fill pieces of copper pipe with lead for the mass.

<time passes>

did some calculations, and due to water's very high specific heat capacity,
it's a great heat sink.  it has a *higher* volumetric heat capacity than
lead, go figure.  i just don't like combining water and electricity....

--i