RE: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com

Hello Dave,

 > Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
 >
 > Hi Marco,
 >
 >  > Have you got any evidence that magnetic quenching rises the gap
 >  > threshold voltage? If yes, can you quantify it?
 >
 > No, I don't.  As I noted in my earlier post in this thread, I
 > presented a
 > theoretical dimensional analysis of the magnetic quenching.
 > I have a pretty
 > nice test bench now, but I don't know how I can measure the
 > electrostatic
 > potential of the gap terminals and magnetic flux of a running
 > system.

Well, I also meant "have you noticed any difference"? You are saying
that you did notice "louder operation". Good.
Now, could you check if the gap threshold voltage has changed? For
instance, you could feed the gap just straight from the NST, through the
variac. Crank the voltage up until the gap fires. Do it with and without
the magnets, Any difference?

 >  > Can you post more information about your magnetic gap arragement?
 >
 > http://www.tesla-coil-builder-dot-com/images/sparkgapmagnetic01.jpg

They look like magnetron magnets, am I right? You have obviously also
tried to rotate the upper stack relative to the bottom stack (repulsive
fields vs. concurrent fields). Any difference?

What I am trying to understand here is, is magnetic quenching just
bettering quenching or also rising the gap threshold voltage? How the
magnetic field has to be oriented?

Best Regards