RE: THOR: First observations on streamer formation (try II)

Original poster: Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com

Hi Bert,

 > Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>
<SNIP>
 > Although it's not very surprising that you would see streamer
 > growth during
 > a single bang, especially if the initial corona breakout voltage is
 > significantly below Vmax of your system, it is interesting
 > that you saw
 > forked and multiple streamers on a single bang.

Yes, this was my point. Multiple streamers on a single bang.

 >These are likely the
 > effects of injected space charge from previous streamer(s)
 > influencing the
 > preferred direction taken during propagation of a new streamer.

Yes for consecutive bangs, but not for one bang every (about) 5 seconds,
which is my case.
We just had 15 minutes time to observe this and then we had to get back
to "family life". The setup has also been now temporarely dismantled as
the university has to run some big HV transformer tests in between.
A first-sight idea somebody of the university guys expressed was that
the 15 cm streamer consumed so few energy that it left the toroid
potential almost unchanged. So, stocastically speaking, the toroid
"didn't notice" a streamer was born and the probability for any other
area of it to start a new streamer was unchanged.

 > Because there's significant charge transferred during each "step" of
 > streamer growth, it should be possible to indirectly measure this via
 > resonator base current.

I once measured the secondary base current as rising up to 16A. During
those 15 minutes we also found time to speculate about this. We thought
that current measured though a grounded stick nearby could provide
(maybe?) a better measurement as the sensibility could be tweaked more.
The stick was not supposed to be reached by the streamer.

 >Following are a dozen good references
 > covering
 > various aspects of corona and streamer formation, modeling, and
 > theory/measurement. Paper #7 below discusses an alternative

Thanks a lot. Next week I'll have to pay a library-day to dig for those.

Best Regards

and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
reproduction, dissemination or distribution of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you.
Tellabs