Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"Original poster: "June Heidlebaugh" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

The Edison cell rectifiers I used were made near the turn of the century
1900 were efficient and did not waste much energy or produce excess
noise.
The were resonant ,tuning fork, rectifiers with 2 Cm square contacts
that
buzzed at 60 hz. I used them till 1980 when the contacts were to thin
and I
replaced the contacts with a diode. The contacts and tuning fork were
mounted on a 1/2" slab of slate for insulation. Heavy but worked well.
       Robert   H"

	I had a Benwood battery charger based on the same principle and used in
the early 1920's to charge batteries for lighting the filaments of radio
tubes.  Once in a while the contacts would stick with resultant smoke
from the leads!  Sort of analogous to the synchronous vibrators used in
tube-type automobile radios.  In this case the rectification was done by
separate contacts on the same vibrating read which switched the primary
voltage to the HV transformer.  Probably pretty efficient although I
have never seen any note on the subject.

Ed