From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 11:33 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Converting to "Pig Power"

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Randy,

  From your specs, it sounds like a 20A General Radio Co. variac (plate on
bottom where the wiper contacts winding?). If your looking at over 20A on
the pig (probable), you'll have a hard time using it. I have a couple of
these and even tried cutting the core on one of them. It went into
over-saturation almost immediately (was using 10kva pig at the time). I
just went hunting for a larger variac and found the 30A type of which I cut
the core (that worked out ok). If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time
cutting the core on this small variac. You wouldn't gain much. Better off
just going in search of a larger variac or alternate source of inductive
ballasting.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>
 >Bart,
 >
 >The variac doughnut measures 8.25" across, 2.18" across short section,
 >2.7" tall, and the wire size is 15 gauge. There are 7 terminals. The gauge
 >seems kind of small now that I have measured it. In fact it seems real small!
 >
 >If I were to cut the torrid and re-wrapped it with 8 gauge, does anyone
 >know what kind of inductance I could expect? I'm not crazy about cutting
 >it, but I'm not opposed to it either.
 >
 >Randy

942Cs for a


 >
 > > >copper pipe).
 > > >
 > > >I plan to ground one HV terminal of the pig to the case, center of the
 > > >primary, bottom of the secondary and of course earth ground, as
 > recommended
 > > >by Dr. Resonance. I have a 30 Amp line filter, the 500â roll
of Home
 > > >Depot special for some current limiting.
 > > >
 > > >My concerns: If the 500â roll is to hold me to about 30
Amps, is

 > the line
 > > >filter too small?
 > > >Will the sucker gap give any kind of acceptable performance (or will it
 > > >just âPower ArcâÝ)?
)?
?
 >?
 > >?
 > > >
 > > >Iâm not asking for someone to do all of my math for me; just
give