Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

"With an AC voltmeter, a series resistor and a series capacitor or
inductor,
you can measure true power, apparent power, vars, watts, power factor
etc.
It's called the "three meter technique" when measuring RF impedances.
Requires a bit of math, but these days, that's no big deal.  You want a
capacitor or inductor that has a reactance that's not too huge compared
the load, but also not so small that there's a lot of measurement error.
(X=1/(377 * C) (in 60 Hz lands).... Say you're looking at 1 kW loads on
120V
(i.e about 0.1 ohm).. you want a reactance that's probably in the area
of
0.01 ohm.  That would be a HUGE capacitor (1/3 Farad!), so, an inductor
is
probably a better bet.  (X=377*L)  1mH=.377 ohm, 10 uH = .0038 ohm,
which is
in the right ball park."

	OK except for the numbers. Try ~10 ohms instead of 0.1 ohm.  I thought
the "three voltmeter method" was long forgotten, and never heard of its
use for RF.  Actually, all it takes is a resistor and the load to be
measured - the reactance isn't needed. I worked out the arithmetic and
posted it here a while back.  The arithmetic is simple, and a graphical
construction works fine too.

	All this applies to LINEAR impedances.  I suspect that the results with
a TC load might be quite misleading, whereas a true electrodynamic
wattmeter is quite accurate.

Ed