Re: Air Quenching (wasRe: Magnetic quenching).

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 15 Mar 2004, at 16:46, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > In a message dated 3/15/04 11:20:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >  > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
 >
 >  > simply, a disc with holes positioned around the periphery to rotate
 >  > above a static gap so that an interrupted airblast could be fed in
 >  a > timed manner at the gap. Also opens the possiblity of phasing the
 >  > blasts using John Freau's rotary phasing circuitry. There are
 >  several > variations on this theme which spring to mind.
 >
 > Looks as the structure of a siren. Be prepared for a lot of noise.
 >
 > Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
 >
 > Hi Malcolm, Antonio, All,
 >      Definitely will be some sound. IIRC, the Hammond Organ Co. in the
 >
 > 1950s used a "tone wheel" (disk with holes to interrupt air stream) to
 > generate the basic pitches which were then amplified and shaped with
 > filter circuitry. FWIW, at 120 pps it should be a slightly flattened
 > low B.
 >
 > Matt D.

Indeed. It would give the phrase "tuning the gap" a whole new
flavour. I guess I will get around to trying it one day if nobody
else is interested. I wonder how much noise it will add to the coil?

Malcolm