Kool-Aid Acid Test, condesation of mists?

Original poster: "teri mckenney" <mck-at-ezy-dot-net>

Hello all.
So I got this old book ,Experiments, by Philip e Edelman
copyright 1914 by Philip e Edelman ,which sold for $1.50.
Pretty  expensive, since his book "How to make and use a wireless station"
cost .12 cents  : 0) Anyway, on page 132 (chapter 15, Experiments with high
frequency currents) at the bottom he starts a paragraph that say's "An
experiment illustrating  the condensation of mists, vapors,fogs,or chimney
dust by electricity is shown in Figs. 90 and 91. While the current is
turned off, place a small porcelain plate at the bottom and center,inside
the secondary coil. Place two pieces of saturated filter paper on this
plate near together,one piece being saturated with ammonia and the other
with hydrochloric acid.This should give an issue of fumes.When the fumes
have attained considerable volume turn on the current. A practically
perfect condensation of the fumes should result.The experiment may be
repeated with smoke from a smudge or vapors and is the basis of a process
for recovering valuable products of chimney dusts"
Maybe I can get one of my kids to scan the pics so I can post them.Is
anybody familiar with this experiment and if so can they explain in further
detail whats going on?
Bill Mck.
P.S. Its a big old secondary wound around what looks like a wooden frame
with fairly large wire and in "Fig 90" it shows a "foggy" fume.In "Fig 91"
it shows a secondary with no "smoke".