Length of controlled sparks vs air streamers, was THOR: First observations

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 3/16/04 1:48:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Works out OK if you accept the 4.35 which appears too high. There would be
>confusion if your streamers were shorter than the controlled sparks! Your
>single shot 11 inch spark is not involved with this secondary KV equation
>which is for controlled sparks.
>
>John Couture

John, all,

I wonder if many folks have compared the ratios of controlled sparks
to free-air sparks for their coils?  Although I have not compared
the two, I would think that the controlled sparks would not be
tremendously shorter than the longest sparks on my TT-42
coil.  I'm just guessing since I never tried the controlled spark
trick on my coils.  I'd be interested to hear if other folks have
made this comparison with their coils.

John