Re: Tesla Coil Grounding

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 08:15 AM 3/17/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>Hi Jim,
>
>If you put a choke between the case of your transformer and mains safety
>ground, you will probably want to put multiple chokes in series.  Each choke
>has a self resonant frequency and becomes capacitive at higher frequencies.
>Each additional choke could be designed with increasing self resonance.
>
>Gerry R

Interesting point... For that matter, aside from self resonance, there's
going to be capacitive coupling (the bane of isolation transformer design)
between things, and, of course, inductive coupling from the spark currents.

I was thinking more in terms of something simple that would provide "ok" RF
isolation, while still providing a solid low frequency safety ground for
dealing with the "oopsie's"...