From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 7:54 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Watt meters

Original poster: dave pierson <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Uhmmmmm
The term 'imaginary current' is, in itself, somewhat imaginary.
It is a concept, rather than an actual, measurable, current.

Any Given Circuit has One (exactly) current in it.

For SOME PURPOSES it is handy to _imagine_ this
as two 'components' at 90 degrees (right angles), each with a
magnitude determined by the circuit elements.  The wattmeters,
etc, simply use mechanical placement of coils to do an
'analog computation' that takes this into account.

(OK: Its about a week's class time to explain properly...  which
i can, at best, approach....)

best
dwp