Re: Transformer dissasembly

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

As others have already mentioned, it's not an easy task to get the core
out intact, but it CAN be done if you are careful and take your time.
If you don't care about the windings that are on the core, simply take
a hacksaw and carefully cut through them on one side so that they can
pryed open into a "C" shape and then pulled free on the opposite side.
I've used a paring knife to gently separate the individual segments of
of the core with good success, and piled them up in the order that I
took them off.  This assures an easier assembly when you want to put
it back together with your own windings.  Regarding that, make things
easier for yourself by winding it on a bobbin that is slightly bigger
than the central part of your core.  The finished windings can then
be slipped off the bobbin and the core segments can be sliid in with
little difficulty.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Details of my "Hyperbaric Gap" and Tesla coil are at:
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle