D5000 - B Luxtrol variac

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi all,

Got a little question on a beauty that I just got on ebay. Externally,
it looks just like a 1256D powerstat and has the Powerstat name on the
frame support members just like a 1256. However, it is rated at 5000
watts or 120 volts at exactly 41.6 amps, that is for an incandescent
lamp load, and is rated to handle (135) 40 watt flourescent lamps with
certain types of ballasts. This things weighs 72 lbs. on the scale
which seems to dictate a considerable higher rating than 5 kW or 5 kVA.
O yea, that's right, kVA and kW are not necessarily interchangable un-
less the power factor is corrected to right at 100%. Yet with a resistive
load like incandescent lamps, the power factor should be right at 100%,
shouldn't it? Of course, flourescent lamps with their accompanying bal-
lasts would introduce an inductive load  where the power factor would
be noticably less than 100%. 135 x 40 = 5400 which is a bit more than
5000. Could someone please shed a little bit of light on this matter
for me?

David

PS - I got a great deal on this variac too with a grand total of under
$75 in it, including shipping ;^))