Re: tesla history

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Godfrey,

On 28 Mar 2004, at 14:38, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>
 >
 > In the old days of coiling, there was access to big transformers
 > and rather large glass caps. Yet the old pictures of tesla coils
 > in action do not generally show long and hot steamers. Of course
 > N. Tesla is pictured with big streamers. Is my perception an
 > illusion caused by the limitations of early photography or did
 > the old designs place serious limitations on performance.
 >
 > Even in more recent times, a tesla coil demonstrated in
 > "Physics Demonstration Experiments, Vol. II, 1970, Harry Meiners, page
 > 1004", is pushed by a 15kv, 120ma NST and makes 30 inch sparks. It
 > seems like coilers now do much better with such a NST.

There has been a substantial improvement in performance thanks to a
number of developments which now amount to part of the sum of
accumulated knowledge:

- large toploads with large ROCs
- understanding of where and why various losses occur which led to:
    high X primaries
    much better quality primary capacitors
    use of high temperature gap materials

- much better quality wire insulation which means one can push the V/t
   limits much harder

- sync rotary gaps with, in some cases, special electrode spacing to
   make the most of the charging system

These are a few which spring to mind.

Malcolm