Re: strange vttc

Original poster: Mike Poulton <mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com>

Tesla list Wrote:
 > Original poster: "claude masetto" <claudmas-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

 > Hello all,
 > I have been playing around with my vttc and have been taking some
 > observations with my scope and have noticed something strange. The res
 > frequency of the resonator as calculated by Java TC is 342khz. When I
 > measured it with a signal generator and a scope the result was 360khz. Close
 > enough for me.
 > I then setup an antenna with a scope probe attached to it and measured the
 > resonator frequency with the the coil running and noticed it was 255khz. The
 > coil is in tune, as best as I can get it because it performs great. Twin
 > 304tl tubes with 30" spark on a good day.
 > I can't understand the difference in the two measurements. I have checked
 > the results over and over.

Is that the frequency when producing a 30" discharge? Does it increase
when you turn the power down until the discharge disappears? If so,
then the additional capacitance of the discharge is pulling the
frequency down (as expected). That is a very large change, though --
much more than I would have anticipated. Do you have a topload of any
kind on the secondary?
Mike Poulton
MTP Technologies
mpoulton-at-mtptech-dot-com
KC0LLX (70cm AM ATV, 33cm/12cm FM ATV, Omaha, NE)