Re: gmheicslr --- uh oh...once again!

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Comments within:

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: gmheicslr --- uh oh...once again!
>Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:24:52 -0700
>
>Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>
>
>Hi Steve/All
>
>>Anyway, about solid state stuff, check this out:
>>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/srward16/HVpulser.htm
>>So far my best spark is 5" from a normal "can" type coil with the core
>>still in it ;)  The charging voltage was 1200V on that shot.  The sidacs
>>are used as a solid state spark gap.
>
>Looking at your schematic, am I right in thinking that this is still a
>true Tesla topology if we leave out the pulse transformer core?

Yeah basically, but the sidacs will not handle a primary coils very low
impedance, so we are restricted to driving pulse transformers like an
ignition coil that has a very high primary inductance.

>Were you still using 600V caps at 1200V?  If so, that's what I call
>over-engineered!

Nah, only pushed those 600V caps to 960V i think ;)  I used a 1200V .68uf
cap with the 1200V sidac string.  Caps are pretty tough... dont put it past
me to push a 600V cap to 1kv ;-)

Steve