Re: Very HV transformers

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <arpit-at-inzo-dot-org>

Well, FIrstly I imagine it'd be almost infinitely easier to get one for 20
bucks or so than free. For free, you'd probably have to know someone who
like hv; know someone who works ina  hospital; or know someone who works
ina  junkyard. I advise visiting the junkyards in your area, particularly
the ones which large companies dump their stuff at.
Something which strikes me as a possibility would be if you had a ute and a
heap of friends, you could wait for a while until a hospital is getting
redone somewhere, then ask them if you could take away an old xray machine
they are throwing out. YOu'll actually be doing them a favour as these
thinks must cost quite a bit for disposal.
This is the "go to the source of the waste" idea which works pretty well
with finding junk.  A guy in sydney before he died a year or 2 ago, used to
ring up companies with computers and tell them that he would take old
computers off their hands free. So these large companies like sony and so
drove up to his house regularly with enormous trucks and dumped old
computers on his lawn I believe. THis saved the companies lots of money,
and the guy swapped parts around in the computers, got them to work, and
gave them to needy people.
If you are looking at getting an xray transformer; I think you should also
look at getting a truck or a ute. It seems that you've gone up the power
scale very quickly; from neon sign transformers to mots to xray
transformers, etc. :) I don't see any reason why you should have to stop at
xray transformers; in 6 months or so you might be wanting a substation
transformer or something :) just kidding, but no doubt your desire for
power will increase! Naturally, power will come with size and weight. Also,
you'll find heavy stuff like xray transformers in even heavier stuff like
xray machines. And you may not be able to dissassemble them fully in the
junkyard. ( a petrol powered angle grinder may help) .  When I get a car,
I'm thinking of getting a ute and bolting a 2 tonne hydraulic crane onto
the back to load up junk :)

Good luck looking for junk! And don't hurt yourself :p well actually i hope
you do hurt yourself. you always remember mistakes when they hurt you, and
its so much better to be hurt by something than killed by it :) so yeah,
don't get hurt without learning anything :)