Re: Nitrogen VS Compressed air quenching

Original poster: "Arpit Thomas" <arpit-at-inzo-dot-org>

wow, thats interesting. Now what could it be about nitrogen that provides
better quenching? could it be the fact tehre is less oxygen to react with
or something? IT seems to me that if nitrogen is much better than
compressed air, you could save a bit of time carting a heavy tank back and
forth if you made a circulating system for the nitrogen. a vacuum cleaner
blower would be connected to the spark gap, and the exhauset of the spark
gap ( this is all happening in a moderately large chamber)  then goes
through some metal pipe which cools it, and then goes into the a resevoir,
such as an old water heater, then goes back to the blower. YOud fill the
heater up with low pressure (2 atmospheres or so? ) nitrogen, and then let
it last for ages :)

How's carbon dioxide for quenching? I pinched an old (bit rusty) water
heater made in 1988 off another house in my street which was going to be
demolished, and carried it home. I'm using it as an air tank, and might use
it to power an air blast gap. Another potential use would be to put some
chemicals in which would react and generate carbon dioxxide at a pressure
of about 6 or 7 atmospheres. I'd then use that to blast the gap :)