Re: Nitrogen VS Compressed air quenching

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>

Why does nitrogen work better to quench?  Consider this:  The dielectric
strength of nitrogen is 1.00, the dielectric strength of argon is 0.18, I
use argon in the arcylic box used with my bi-polar coil because it promotes
streamer length, I use nitrogen because it inhibits this.  There are gasses
with a higher dielectric strength but many of those are poisonous -
chlorine (1.55), many are extremely expensive (300.00 for 5 lbs) - sulfur
hexafluoride(8.50), and others are possibly explosive - many methane
compounds.  Carbon Dioxide has three line item listings: 0.82, 0.84 &
0.88.  This is according to the 83rd Edition of the Handbook of Chemistry &
Physics.  Interestingly, air has 4 separate line item listings with ratings
of 0.4-0.7, 0.97, 1.4 & 3.0.  Based on my observations and experiments, I
would think the operable number in this application would have be the
0.4-0.7 listing.  Nitrogen just happens to be a commonly available and
comparatively cheap gas.

Why not build a N capture and re-cycling system?  Simple, I'd rather deal
with a small bottle with a 15 foot non-conductive hose running into the
coil that costs 14.00 to fill than lug around a 500lb monstrosity that
requires its own power supply(s) costs 5000.00+ to build and takes 2 years
to develop and construct.  There's also the headache of where to place a
large metal mass that's possibly in very close proximity to your coil.  But
don't let me discourage you, something useful and totally unexpected could
come from that exercise but my guess is that this system has already been
developed for other applications.

Also, using an old water heater for a reactive chemical container would
definitely be ill-advised, dangerous and possibly fatal to all in proximity.

John