Forced Gas Quenching

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Greetings All

Thinking about the current thread on nitrogen quenching, I have picked up
on a few points:

1) Using a sealed gas system
2) Using a jet to achieve supersonic gas flow through the gap
3) Bottled gas discharging to atmosphere vs recircultated gas.

Stop me if I'm on the wrong track, but how about using the guts of a
refrigerator for this?  High pressure/small bore tube leads into gap
manifold producing gas blast, gas passes through heat exchanger, then back
to pump and back to the gap again.  Would this not provide both quench and
cooling?

It would obviously help if we were to use a high-dielectric strength gas
which is also a refrigerant.

Equipment would not be too large or expensive.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy