phasing nsts, was Re: thanx everyone for your help

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

On Wed, 05 May 2004 23:19:18 -0600, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: Jimbo07031982-at-aol-dot-com
>i was only able to get my hands on (3) 6000v 30mA transformer's i thought
>i would be able to wire them together but can't seem to figure out how to do it

So here's how to phase them correctly:

connect the primaries in parallel of 2 transformer, and connect a (well
insulated) to the output bushing of one of the transformers.  Try to draw
an arc from the same position bushing of the other transformer.  If you can
draw a normal arc, then reverse the primary connections of one of the
transformers.  Repeat this with the 3rd transformer, but if you need to
change the primary connections, change the connections on the 3rd NST.
Now just connect all the HV bushings on the one side of the transformers,
and the 3 HV bushing on the other side of the transformer, and you have all
3 in parallel, now 6kv -at- 90 mA.  Hope that makes sense to you!

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL