Re: Coat the secondary or not?

Yes, you should seal the coil.  The varnish will prevent flashover and helps
avoid RF tracking across the surface.  Coilform should be sealed prior to
winding with 2 coats.  After winding 3-4 coats works good.

If you don't seal the coil your coilform, it could react to temp and someday
the coil will come loose --- a real mess.

Best material to use is Dolph's AC-43 varnish (use websearch --- they have a
site).  It is especially formulated to seal and prevent uncoiling of magnet
wire.  Don't use polyurethane --- it will crack with time and temp changes.

Dr. Resonance