Re: MMC caps: prices, sources, and types

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Hi Michael,

I think someone said that an outfit called Richardson Electronis
has these same CD 942 polypropylene caps that the Geek Group sales
for about the same price if not even a little cheaper. I'm not too
sure what their webpage address is but I'm sure someone else on
this list does and if all else fails, I'm sure that a Google search
would locate them for you.

As far as how many MMCs to use, I'm not really qualified to comment
on that as most of my coils have used commercial pulse caps, but I
think that for amature purposes, you can construct your MMC so that
their total rated DC voltage about equals the output AC voltage of
your NST and they'll probably last darn-near forever. At least that
seems to be the concensus of the MMC users out there. If you were
going to use it for hours at a time for display purposes, then I
would probably go for the total DC voltage to equal at least 2X the
input voltage from your transformer for long term reliability.
The CD 942 series MMC caps are tuff customers and can stand up to
a lot of abuse and even have the self healing ability, which is good
for us amature coilers ;^))

David Rieben