Re: SSTC toroid?

Original poster: "Chris Arnold" <xiterion-at-xedoloh-dot-com>

Kreso,

There is some debate as to whether or not a toroid on an SSTC does much
good for improving the output.  It generally does not affect the maximum
length arc that can be pulled from the coil, but it can make a brush
discharge better looking and more controlled.  Every CW coil, vacuum tube
or solid state, that I've ever been around that ran very much power (>200W
or so) has needed something on the top to prevent breakout from the top
turns on the secondary.  The only thing to watch out for is it can suck
significant energy out of your resonator, severely hurting your spark
length.  Before I blew my SSTC up I played around with varying toroid
heights.  With it located within a few centimeters of the top of the
secondary spark length went down to about 75% of what I got for a maximum,
and after only ~30 seconds of operation the whole dryer duct toroid was
nearly smoking hot.  It wasn't due to the discharge, which stayed in
pretty much one spot.  This was definitely induction heating of the
toroid.  Just something to think about.

Chris Arnold