Re: PSSTC Measured Power Specifications - Re: 66" SSTC

Original poster: Sean Taylor <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

>MEASUREMENTS
>Real Power delivered to PSSTC:   1.0kW  (used variac to get this number
>even)
>Power Factor:  0.78

Was this leading or lagging?  I'm guessing leading . . .

>Distance:  Consistently hit strike target which was randomly placed between
>40" and 55"
>Pulsewidth:  250us
>PRF:  100Hz
>

>I was using a 120VAC to 240VAC step-up transformer to get my higher voltage
>input.  I imagine this big transformer has something to do with the poor
>power factor.

Probably not - a load transformer won't affect the power factor that much,
and would create a lagging power factor.  More likely, the rectificatoin
adn filtering would be the source of the power power factor, which draws
most of the current on the "upward" slope of the sine wave (towards higher
magnitude), and causes a leading power factor due to the capacitive nature
of the load.  The current waveform going into a recitier with a filter cap
typically has some nasty high frequency components, you might want to check
that out with the Fluke meter.

Just out of curiosity - why did you decide to call this something different
than an ISSTC, since it is exactly the same . . . I think some more credit
should go to Steve for exploring this topology!

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL