Re: Slide-choke construction

Another interesting advantage using a large sliding choke offers is that it
can eliminate the costly variac altogether!

With the core in full, only a few Amps (magnetizing currents) are drawn by
the HV xmfr so while it remains at the full 240 VAC it doesn't get any
appreciable current so nothing happens.  The xmfr can't supply enough
current to charge the caps.

As the core is slowly withdrawn the current begins climbing.  You can set
the current point at any current level you desire and do not need a variac
at all.

It's an interesting concept and works very well.  We use this idea to
eliminate variacs in all of our larger systems.

Dr. Resonance