Re: G10 rotor thickness / strange rotor materials

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

In my TC youth, I tried a number of similar things. The angle grinder disk
tended to short circuit track across itself and always seemed in danger of
cracking.  I used a angle grinder disc made of acrylic which softened and
distorted and one of polycarbonate that shattered at 9000RPM sending bolts
flying THROUGH my shed wall.  I always try to stay out of the plane of
rotation for this reason if working on it and in action have a shield to
contain any disintegration.
I now use Tufnol, a plastic laminate which is easy to work, thick, won't
shatter, takes some heat and looks safe.  I got it cut and drilled
professionally and it is much better balanced than I would be able to get.
At 9000RPM (break rate 1200 BPS) it needs to be really smooth in action.
Details on my site.
So the cheap option? Probably something quite thick (or multiple layer) eg
1/2 - 1 inch polycarbonate to compensate for the lack of strength and don't
ask too much in terms of rotational velocity (ie don't use 16 inch rotors)
Peter
  http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/