Self-Resonant SSTC topologies

Original poster: humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com

Hello, I have a couple questions to the folks who have
used the "current feedback" methode of driving their
SSTC's. Does this provide a "self-starting" coil? While
using a antenna on my self res driver, I need to touch
it in order to get the thing started (no oscillator
IC). Schematics of the self-res ISSTC show no starter
circuitry, so I assume this to be the case. Also, is
phasing just a matter of changing the direction of the
RF ground loop?

I am using a half-bridge of the HGT1N30N60A4D IGBT's as
a test bed. While running without an interruptor
circuit I get 4-5 inch Hot CW plasma discharge (180
VDC) pulling 5 amps (panel meter) from the AC line into
filter. With a P-4 heatsink and fan everything runs
stone cold, even with 5-6 minute continuous runs. But
the coil does get nice and warm (4" wound with #28).
Seems that #28 wire may be on the thin side, at least
for a non-interrupted system.

For a Picture:
http://209.210.231.220/webdoc2.htg/SSTC/Pictures/Self_res_proto1/H-res_proto_lash7.jpg

Future work will include adding the Interrupter
circuit, and looking at adding the series res cap.
Also, what about a Magnifier version? With all those
primary to secondary flashovers, that would be a nice
solution, no? I allways wanted to make a VTTC Magi, but
never got around to it, hmm... Well, one step at a time!

Regards,

David Trimmell