Re: CDE 942c20p15k Group buy

Original poster: dgoodfellow-at-highstream-dot-net

I would like to think that the "drive to the bottom" philosophy did not
prevail among those of us in such an interest as  coiling. If we spend a few
dollars more buying caps from the Geeks, how much money will we have saved
at the end of our lives? The Geeks freely distribute information and it has
benefited us all. When a child arrives at the door with chocolates for the
school fundraiser, do we tell the child that the candybar he offers can be
had for a better price at the grocery store? People that support PBS offer a
donation of $50.00 and in return receive a "thank you gift" video tape or CD
that might retail for $12.00. The average coiler often requires  less than
20 poly capacitors to build the capacitor bank. That's a savings of about
$15.00 for the cap bank over the Geeks prices. Perhaps if you were operating
an assembly plant, producing capacitor banks by the score, it would be worth
while to explore the rock bottom cheapest source. Those of us that get the
"warm and fuzzie" feeling by saving money rather than helping to support an
organization in a way that hardly challenges the budget, should do so.
Before going for the rock bottom price though, I should point out this email
from some time ago, so that all can appreciate the value of those that
volunteer expertise and wisdom.
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2001/August/msg00289.html

If Chris Boden has had enough of supplying the Tesla coil builders with
reasonably priced caps and wants to turn it over to another (since surely
nobody is getting rich from this kind of pricing) then so be it.
a warning to all who pursue alternate sources...... be prepared for long
delays and/or undelivered product. Salesmen will often say ANYTHING to get a
purchase order.

Best regards, Dave Goodfellow