Re: Coil Form needed 2

Experimenters should use caution when trying to use large PVC pipe as a
coilform.  We used PVC pipe coated with 3 coats Glyptal inside and outside
for our line of VDGRF generators.  As soon as we crossed the 10 inch dia.
threshold the VDGRFs stopped operating properly (3 inch spark from a 40 inch
dia. terminal) even though the small 6 inch ID PVC pipes worked great up to
750 kV DC.

It seems above 850 kV DC the larger surface area (internal) of the PVC pipe
becomes more conductive and becomes unsuitable for VDGRFs.  The leakage
current becomes too high so the terminal charge drains away faster than it
is accumulated.

Above 850 kV we use fiberglass (extren) pipe.  We also use this material on
all TCs with dia. larger than 12 inches.

The PVC pipe works great for smaller than 12 inch coilforms but be sure to
seal it inside and outside with Glyptal before winding.  Light sanding
inside and outside prior to coating is adviseable.

Dr. Resonance

 > This might be worth mentioning.  About 3 or 4 years ago I posted this
 > information on the TC list so it may be in the archives someplace.   It
has
 > been so long ago I have forgotten all the details.  I did an experiment to
 > see if a large coil could be built using small diameter pvc pipe because
 > large pipe is expensive and hard to find.  I wound 3 identical secondary
 > coils, connected them all in parallel in the center of one flat wound
 > primary coil.  I placed a toroid on top and fired it up.  It worked
 > excellent.  Then I build one large diameter secondary coil to replace the
3
 > parallel coils the fired it up again using the same primary coil, same
cap,
 > same spark gap, same chokes, same transformer, same toroid, same size
 > enamel coated copper wire.  As I recall the output sparks were  about the
 > same on both experiments.   I had planned to build 6 identical secondary
 > coils and connect them all in parallel but never got around to doing that.
 > If you are thinking about building a large coil and can not find any large
 > pvc pipe give this experiment some thought.
 >
 > Gary Weaver
 > gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net
 > Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.

<makinglightning-at-comcast-dot-net>