RE: think i killed my nst's

Original poster: "Godfrey Loudner" <ggreen-at-gwtc-dot-net>

Hello

Starting with two x-ray filament transformers, I salvaged four core
legs, each with dimensions 1"x1.5"x12". The primary windings were left
intact on two of the legs. As the ends of the legs slide into each other
nicely, I made a square core. Using oil, the top leg is easily added or
removed. The top leg was rapped with all-purpose polyethylene plastic
sheeting. From ebay, I got 14 identical unused HV coils for dental x-ray
transformers. Because 6 of the coils were open circuited, I got them for
free. On the top leg, without grounding to the core, two of the open
circuited coils were installed in series. The primaries were connected
in parallel. Across the HV leads is a glass cap. With 35V in, I can get
loud white sparks across a 3" gap. What would kill a NST works fine
here. With arcing somewhere inside the coils, I don't know how long the
outfit will last.

Godfrey Loudner