RE: Hmmmm...(was CDE 942c20p15k Group buy)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

On what experience do you base this opinion?  In the experience of
myself and countless others, using the DC rating will yield a very
reliable cap, and at a fraction of the cost if one were to use the AC
rating.  But then we don't run without safety gaps, resulting in your:
 > huge racing sparks on the secondary,
 > primary to primary flashovers, secondary to pimary flashowers...
Secondary
 > is now molten ball of plastic and copper :-).

I guess we have two choices:
1) Build the cap using the AC ratings and run recklessly with gaps wide
open, no safety gaps, and your cap will likely outlast your molten
secondary, or
2) Build the cap using the DC ratings and take reasonable precautions to
use proper gap settings.

Assuming that the DC rating of a cap is about 4 times the AC rating, the
DC rated cap will cost 1/16th that of the AC rated cap.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >Original poster: Kreso Bukvic <kreso.bukvic-at-kc.htnet.hr>
 >
 >Using DC value stinks. You should use that 500 VAC value, not the 2000
VDC