Re: New coil not working...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: New coil not working...

 > Original poster: "Greg McCoy" <gemccoy-at-nbnet.nb.ca>
 >
 > Thanks, all, I got my caps in parallel today and they now fill with
 > electricity when turned on. I haven't had a real chance to tune it, and it
 > would also be futile, as until next wednesday it is in the school (of
course
 > with no suitable ground). But after that I will have to give it another
go.

 > I really hate to be stupid, but what is variac?

Variac is a tradename for a variable autotransformer.  It lets you adjust
the AC voltage going to your coil.  As a substitute, try putting a 110V
lightbulb in series with the tesla coil line power.  If you have a neon sign
transformer, a 100W light bulb will limit your power to about 1/4 the
normal.  Any old light bulb and socket will work.

 > Oh, and what about O3 poisoning? I was doing some research and found out
 > it's quite dangerous in high concentrations. After running my coil for a
few
 > seconds the smell is quite strong. Do Tesla Coils produce enough ozone to
be
 > dangerous in that sense? should I only be running it in a well-ventelated
 > area?

Yes, Ozone is poisonous, especially in high concentrations.  Yes you should
be operating in a reasonably well ventilated area (don't run in the closet,
but a garage or classroom is probably ok).  You're unlikely to have serious
side effects from occasional exposure (after all, laser printers generate
ozone, too).  O3 is also real hard on rubber things in the room. The level
at which you smell it (at first, see below) is less than the concentration
at which it becomes really dangerous. If you look up industrial hygiene data
(i.e. OSHA) don't forget they're talking about 8 hour exposures, etc..
Something to be aware of is that your nose gets "immune" to the smell fairly
quickly, so the concentration can be quite high and you can't smell it.

Ozone is just one of those smells of high voltage... you can't get away from
it, really.

Be aware that you're also producing a variety of nitrogen oxides, which have
the same pungent kind of odor, and are also somewhat toxic.  You're
essentially making your own photochemical smog, with all the ill effects
from chronic exposure that entails.