Re: NST protection

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Dan,

In a message dated 5/29/04 5:05:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: Bob81818-at-aol-dot-com

Hi list, I've got a few questions before I begin to gather the parts for
Terry's nst filter. Fist off, is it worth it? Does it give absolute
protection, or does it just prolong nst failure?

No piece of equipment is immortal and the only fool-proof system is one the
fools can't get to. In my experience, it greatly improves the chances for
nst survival. You can still destroy one but you have to work much harder to
do enough stupid things, so IMO it's is definitely worth it.
Would I be able to add
more on to it if I get a bigger nst (I have a 9/30) or could I build it for
a 12kv or 15kv and still run a 9kv on it?

   A filter big enough to handle a 15/60 should pass peaks of 21.2 kV
without reacting, while one for a 9/30 should start clamping above ~14 kV.
A Terry filter can be expanded. I'd lay out the board for the bigger one
and then jumper the open spots for the missing parts until I needed more.
And finally, should I just forget
about the nst and go for the MOV powered coil?

I assume you meant MOT-powered coil. As an old Maine Lobsterman told me
years ago, "If you want to build a fine yacht, start with a rowboat. Learn
the tricks of construction and quirks of handling that first. Then you'll
spend a lot more time looking like a sailor and a lot less time cursing
like one."
Hopefully I'll learn
something from others mistakes before making my own mistakes. I look
forward to a response.
      Thank you,
            Dan E.

     Safety IS best learned from the mistakes of others. (The early bird
may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.) ;-) Real
understanding and pride comes from overcoming your own mistakes.

Matt D.