Re: Ballast and wire stuff

Original poster: "Bunny Killer" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

Hey Matt...

I made an inductor for my bigPIG transformer out of a huge transformer EI
core and 3 spools of #10 wire 250' each. The secret was to use three rolls
of wire at the same time when winding the core...   sooo  you end up with 3
"paralelled" wires sharing the load ( 60 sumodd amps capacity) .  Sure
beats trying to wind a #4 or thicker wire on a core form. Even when I pump
50 -60 A into the transformer, the inductor stays cool ( well it does get
warm ... about 100F)

IIRC the center core leg was 5"x5"   ( 25 sqr inch area) so there is little
chance of saturation on this puppy...

I had to play around with the gap on the EI core untill I found a 60 A draw
at full power ...

see if your local salvage yard has some large control cabinets and just
maybe you can find a large enuf core in it ...

I got mine for 7.50$

Scot D