RE: RSG and NST's

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Dr.

I don't agree that the hazard associated with async RSG's and NST's is
due to excessively high break rates.  With an NST, as an RSG's break
rate increases, the bang voltage will go down, making it LESS stressful
to everything.  The same effect may be achieved by reducing the spacing
of a static gap - lower bang voltage and higher bang rate - and I think
all agree that narrow static gaps are the least stressful.  Even if bang
voltages did not diminish with increasing BPS, I still don't see how the
NST would be any more stressed at higher BPS.

On the other hand, it's easy to demonstrate via simulation the
consequence of having a too-slow BPS, resulting in mains resonant-rise.

I'll be the first to admit that my opinions are based solely upon theory
and simulations, and I have not personally attempted an async RSG and
seen an NST fail. If you have experience demonstrating that high BPS is
in fact more stressful, I would enjoy hearing it, as well as your theory
as to the actual stress mechanism that increases with BPS.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

They
> do, and they work well with TCs firing 120 bks/sec. They will also
work at
> higher break rates but one must be very very careful to provide
excellent
> filtering to prevent ANY high freq transients from getting back into
xmfr
> windings. A "Terry Filter", named in honor of its inventor, Terry
Fritz, is
> commonly employed to provide this high level of filtering. Perhaps
Terry
> could post this location in his extensive archives collection.
>
> http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg
>
> The other area, that must be carefully monitored, is the total spark
gap
> setting when running a NST. Usually 0.220 to 0.250 is the absolute
MAXIMUM
> total spark gap setting that should be used with a NST. Larger gaps
invite
> problems and failures on the NSTs. It's always advisable to keep your
total
> gap setting at the maximum size (or less) that provides the
performance you
> want.
>
> RSGs can run asynchro IF you use a good filter with safety spark gaps
and
> total gap settings in the recommended range. Not using all these
cautions
> invites trouble. I would suggest less than 400 bks/sec as a max for
NSTs.