Re: Am I "OFF"

The 3/16 inch tungsten might have localized heating the ends of the rods red
hot.  Once they get this hot effective quenching does not occur.  Try
blasting some compressed air thru the gap (center gap) and see if the sec
spark grows a bit.  If it does, this indicates you may need more effective
quenching (shutoff) of your pri sparkgap.  Failure to shutoff, or quench,
causes the energy the surge back into the primary circuit, hence a loss of
energy.

If this works, and your are budget conscious, you could use some 3/4 inch
dia. carriage bolt heads (large surface area aids quenching via more
effective heat dissipation).

Dr. Resonance