Re: Measuring Streamer characteristics

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/4/04 9:52:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

Snipp>>>

As a streamer gets longer, its equivalent
shunt resistance to ground must go down, not up. So I don't see how a model
that says "X ohms per foot" can be correct.

Hi Steve,
     I don't follow the mechanism for "resistance must go down". If one
visualizes a streamer as a thin wire parallel to the ground, then
resistance and capacitance to ground are increasing functions of length.
The capacitive reactance will go down as equivalent C gets larger, but I
fail to see a way for the resistance, which is a function of channel
length, to do anything but increase. Actually, a streamer looks more to me
like a transmission line that changes length and diameter cyclically over
time, not an easy item to model.

Matt D.