Transformer

Original poster: "Rich" <rdjmgmt-at-socket-dot-net>

This may seem like a simple question to some one who has been doing this
for a while but I am new to a lot of this. I need a extra 5v transformer so
I went to my junk box and picked out one that had the secondary wound on
the outside of the primary. The inner core is 2 ¾ x 2 x 1 ¼. It has two
primary’s wired in parallel . The first secondary I cut off was normal
looking to me, made with 17ga wire.  When I got to the 2nd secondary , I
stopped. It has an out put of 28v no load but it is wound out of copper
sheet,.005 thick and 1.75 wide. This goes around the 2” width of the core.
Is this OK to remove some and use it at 5v or should I remove it all and
make a new secondary.

Rich