UHMW

Original poster: JBarrett-at-trumbullcorp-dot-com

Hi Harold,

Thanks for the info on the UHMW plastic. I need to rebuild my primary to a
flat helix and was hoping to use Plastic. I won't use the black ABS caps
though.

Thanks Again
Jim Barrett

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Jim,

UHMW is fine except for black.  The black color is carbon black and has a
resistance of around 130 Ohms or less per foot.  That's for the conductive
grade, there is another grade that is static disipative and conducts less.
Using white/natural or any other color should work fine.  At Terry Blake's
site www.tb3-dot-com, he has pictures of my 6" coil at Cheesehead where the
primary has been routed into a 3/4" sheet of OD green UHMW.  The strike
rails are conductive UHMW with 4 Ohms of resistance between the outside and
center of the rail.  The primary is protected by a 1/8" smoked acrylic
sheet.  Too bad we couldn't get any good spark pictures that night, as I had
a misphased SRSG.  That's what you get for having a first light at a
teslathon.

David E Weiss