From: Jim Lux [mailto:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 9:04 PM
To: David Trimmell
Subject: Re: Safety Gear (was: possible sources ... lead ... oil?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Trimmell" <humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com>
To: <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 8:44 PM

 > Hey Jim, I cede to your greater knowledge on the subject, and you are
 > correct for the most part, but there is no harm in suggesting the
 > wearing of safety glasses. The x-rays that are scattered will be of
much
 > reduced energy and the presence of a few mm of polycarbonate will help
 > reduce some of the energy that may be imparted to the lens of the eye,
 > as it has a greater density. Of course, if you prescribe the
"radiation
 > hormesis" crowd, then certainly it is all good to a point...

I'd be a bit stronger... the polycarbonate does practically no good for
radiation shielding, and you do nobody any favors by implying that it
is,
even marginally.  This is like saying that dry skin is an insulator, so
it's
ok to touch a HV wire.

Ionizing radiation is nothing to fool with casually.  If you fool with
vacuum and HV, you need to be aware and careful.