RE: Coil Woes

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Since Cres*1.2 is closer to Cres than is Cres*1.6, I would think what
you advocate world be MORE likely to be vulnerable to mains-resonant
rise than the higher value?

With a static gap, a smaller cap will result in a smaller bang size and
faster BPS, not sure exactly what the impact would be on streamer
appearance, though certainly shorter.  Quite possible that they will be
brighter despite being shorter.

I know that I recently swapped my 7x30 toroid for a 6x24 toroid.  The
bigger toroid would only breakout reliably from a breakout point and
delivered my longest streamers.  The smaller toroid didn't need a point
and readily broke out all over the toroid with shorter streamers,
probably similar to what you were saying.  This was with my 15/60, sync
RSG, and a Cres*4.0 cap in both cases.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

 > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>
 >

 > I have always advocated Cres value * 1.6, however, lately, I'm
changing my
 > thoughts on this value.
 >
 > The 1.6 does give the longest sparks, however, the nature of the
sparks are
 > "stringy" and not active and "dancing" off the toroid.
 >
 > Lately I've been using Cres * 1.2.  This value reduces the chances of
 > resonance between the supply NST and  capacitor bank while producing a
very
 > pleasant and active spark field that literally "dances" off the toroid
 > seeking ground.
 >
 > Try this experiment yourself using both values 1.2 and 1.6 and you
will see
 > what I mean.  The 1.2 value has more charging current which produces
better
 > looking discharges.
 >
 > For us, it's back to 1.2 * Cres for the best looking spark discharge.
You