Re: PT Ballast Question

Original poster: "Mike" <induction-at-comcast-dot-net>

Hello all,
               I'll tell you what we do for current limiting, works great.
A little background to let you know the harsh environment this is used in.
Transformer bank is three plate transformers, primaries all in parallel,
from induction heaters, to get the current I wanted for continuos usage, I
had to go to three. Rectified (full wave bridge) output is 2600 volts at 10
amps, each secondary has it's own bridge, all plus dump together, all minus
dump together . Filtering is a VERY heavy 25 Hy choke on the high voltage
side, caps, etc. The load is a 2 feet wide, 6 feet tall glow discharge tube
at vacuum. When going from the glow mode to the arc mode, it will try to
pull infinite current without limiting resistors. Problem is what
resistance you use at the higher currents (back in the glow mode) changes
the vertical range of the cathode glow. Using 4 one hundred ohm 1 kW
resistors in series, the cathode glow goes within a few inches of the anode
and you end up with no positive column. Higher values ( ~ 25 -75 K ) give
normal ~75 percent positive column (of the 6 feet electrode spacing) but
the current and optical output drops way down. But without limiting, it
will after ~60 to 100 ma drift into the arc mode and then into as many amps
as it can pull.
So it was decided to take out the resistors and control the primary
current. Primary line voltage is 208 volts using 2 of the three phase legs.
A 50 amp variac was reconfigured so that rather than the conventional
variac wiring for input and output. it was set up so that for minimum
current in the load, the wiper and one end terminal had the most inductance
and as you turned the variac toward less windings on the core, reducing
inductance, greater current resulted in the load.
Very much like your adding iron slugs to the wire cores. But this is one
shaft and using a plastic 55 gallon oil drum cut down to a few feet tall,
the variac is placed in an oil bath for cooling, the shaft was extended and
an old car steering wheel was fixed to the shaft so easy turning is there.
We vary the load from the 10 amps on the high voltage linear down to 400
microamps (below that, the tube goes out of glow mode). With the windings
wound on the variac core such as they are, there can be a lot of inductance
and nice control. If the current is really high on the primary, you want to
keep at least a few turns of inductance in there to stop run away.
Or, if you want full voltage, turn it all the way to no inductance, as long
as the experiment is not pulling too much current.
You think arcs at sea level get current hungry, it's even wilder under
vacuum where it takes so little to break down a given distance. At 100
militorr (sea level is 760 Torr or 760 mm of mercury) I can get the 6 feet
distance to ignite to glow at ~1100 volts DC and as coilers, you know how
much at sea level it would take to break down 6 feet. In the tube, the arc
can be the whole 22.5 inches ID wide for high current or large cap dumps.
In the air, the arcs are thinner; Climbing towers I've seen lots of old
lightning strike burns only dime sized.
So, even with such a beating, the variac as a variable inductor on one leg
in series works great and smooth. Less voltage drop across so much reels of
wire, to. We wanted inductive control, not series resistor, which the lots
of wire becomes.
Anyway, that's how we control the current. You dial it up and there it
stays, no more. We of course have overloads on the high voltage side that
over 10 amps, crash the control system and the large primary contactor.
Regards,
             Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>