Re: Research on lasers + high voltage discharges

Original poster: "Ben McMillen" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,
    The experiment IS quite possible, however on a smaller scale. There is
a patent out now for a device that operates on similar principles. It
involves the use of a long tube (a few feet) filled with low pressure argon
(or some other gas that ionizes easily at low pressure) with mirrors at
either end. When a high-powered laser beam is bounced between the mirrors,
it creats a conductive path. With a high voltage supply connected to both
mirrors (assuming they are conductive), a measurable amount of current flow
will be present.

The experiment could quite possibly be scaled up, but (as most other posts
on this topic have shown) the power required would be immense.

This is something we plan to try over the next year here in the lab (I work
in a reasearch lab at the University of Pittsburgh).

This gallery has a few pictures of some of the lasers that we use, which
include YAG pulsed laser(Quanta-Ray DCR-2 with frequency doubler) , Argon,
and Krypton-Flourine UV.. We also have a Ti:Sapphire and several dye lasers..

<http://medix.homeip-dot-net/cpg132/index.php?cat=21>http://medix.homeip-dot-net/cpg132/index.php?cat=21

I'll keep everyone posted (if and when) we try the experiment..

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen

Original poster: "Peter Terren"

Lasers can ionise air. Particularly Q-switched lasers in view of the high
power density eg 200 millijoule in 12 nanosecs.
For a pic of one in action see my site.
http://tesladownunder.iinet-dot-net.au/Lasers_%20HeNe_YAG.htm

Peter (Tesla Downunder)