Re: Small Table Top Coil Designs

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 10/18/04 10:10:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

I am now of the opinion that if you have to ask, you're never going to
understand. I don't know if these things will ever be accessible to the
non-oscilloscope-owning public.

Steve C.
Hi Steve,

"Questioning is the only path to understanding" - Socrates

     Of course, old "Soc" never dealt with IGBT devices or solid-state
devotees. While the digital and SS cognoscenti are pushing the XYZ-SSTCs as
the "obvious" wave of the future, part of the lure of the "classic" TC is
that any "kid-out-on-the-farm" can build a working device with common hand
tools and readily available materials. They don't need $3K++ of high tech
toys or a degree in EE to make a $100 coil and to start to understand how
it works.
      If SSTCs become the norm, it will close off the hobby to many people
who can't afford the instruments and don't start out with a strong SS/IC
background, yet are not interested in being just "black-box appliance
operators". Imagine if a kid couldn't build a Go-Kart without an engine
performance analyzer or a computer interface for the diagnostic modules.
They would soon get bored and wander off the something else.

Matt D.
"Chmn., Committee to Ban Phase-Modulated, Digitally-Switched Toilet Paper"
;^)))