RE: AC motor speed control question (really my question was about phase control)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Hi Michael:

For the application of sync RSG phase control, the variac is NOT being
used as a variable power supply.  It is being used as a variable
inductor, and this, in conjunction with the specified motor run
capacitor, creates a variable phase shift between the mains and the
motor.  For this reason, a light dimmer cannot be substituted; a variac
must be used.

Don't worry about spikes.  This is a pretty benign application, and
variacs are pretty robust.  Using a variac as a phase control element
doesn't create any problems unless your motor connection goes open and
your variac starts resonating with the motor run cap, which is why a
fuse is recommended.

It sounds like this may be your first coil?  A sync RSG is a lot to bite
off for a first-time coiler.  I'd recommend starting with a static gap.
It took me years and several attempts before I got my sync RSG
(http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/sync_gap.htm)  working right.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA