Re: Performance Question

No apologies necessary.  We were all newbies at one time or another.

Yes, there will be a gain.

Voltage is created by V = -L dI/dt  (inductance x rate change of current).

The main part of this equation, inductance (L), for a sec coil is:

r^2 * n^2 / (9a + 10b)

In the number part, you want to keep r (coil radius) as large as practical,
and, within reason, n (number of turns) as large as practical.  There are
some offsets to the value of n but for many coils 1,400 turns is almost
always a good number to use.

If you wind a new coil, keep the 4.5 to 1 height to dia ratio.  With a given
coil dia. then this fixes the winding length.  Divide this winding length by
1,400 and now you have the outside dia. of the guage wire to use.  Select
the wire OD value from a wire chart and use 200 degree C wire for excellent
high freq insulation value.

If possible, select a toroid size of 2 to 2.5 times the dia. of your sec.
coil.  Up to 4.0 is used for extreme cases.  This requires more primary cap
and more power but provides nice outputs.

This will give you spectacular performance from your new coil.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913